The Sri Chamundeshwari Temple is situated on the Chamundi hills, about 13 kms from Mysore city.
The temple is considered as one of the 18 Maha Shakti Peethas and dedicated to Goddess Chamundeshwari, who is believed to be a form of Goddess Parvathi. Built in the Dravidian style, this temple consists of a main doorway, an entrance with a silver door, the Navaranga Hall, the Antharala Mantapa, the sanctum sanctorum and Prakara. The original shrine was built in the 12th century by the Hoysala ruler, King Vishnuvardhana. The tower of the temple was built in the 17th century by the Vijayanagar rulers. The temple assumed significance after the Wodeyars of Mysore came into power in 1399 AD.
Neighbouring this temple are other temples on the hill like the Mahabaleshwara temple, Nandi temple and a Devi Kere (a pond).